2020 | How to Increase & Retain Natural Hair Growth!
If you'd like to hear the video version of these tips, check out: https://youtu.be/j1mlphOa7Sg
But listed below is every Natural Hair growth tip I've been able to find. I hope this comprehensive list of hair growth tips helps you along your Natural Hair Journey. Feel free to let me know if you need further clarification.
- Maintain Your Natural Growth - The hair naturally grows 1/8 inch - 1/2 inch every month depending on your genetics. You have to care for the hair naturally growing to retain the length. If we are breaking Natural Hair rules, we cannot expect our hair to continue to flourish.
- Consistency is Key - regimen needed - you need to be consistent in your weekly or monthly routine for your hair. You do not need to use the same products everytime, but you should be washing, deep conditioning, detangling, etc. on a regular basis. Check out our Natural Hair Regimen blog post for ideas for your regimen!
- Regular trims (on your own or to a salon) - pay attention to your hair. Do you see any curls (ends specifically) that are limp and not as curly or even straight. Trim those ends girl! Stop holding on to inches that are not healthy. You want HEALTHY Natural Hair, sometimes we have to sacrifice length for the health of our hair. Hair will grow back, I promise (watch my Big Chop video from 4 year ago). You can trim your own hair when putting hair in twists, research on YouTube for trimming tutorials.
- Biotin Pills or Prenatal Vitamins - these pills/vitamins are known for increasing hair growth. You do not need to be pregnant to take Prenatal Vitamins. When using Biotin pills, please make sure you drink a lot of water to prevent any acne breakouts.
- Scalp Massages!! - 15 minutes everyday with a hot oil (coconut, olive, avocado, etc.) will increase the blood circulation in your scalp which in turn increases hair growth. It's also great for self-care, which is especially needed during these times.
- Reduce or Eliminate Heat! - Heat styling is the opposite of the purpose of the Natural Hair movement. It also can be detrimental (hurtful) for your hair if you continuously apply heat to it. It can cause heat damage, breakage, and dryness. It's best to reduce this to increase your hair growth.
- Reducing Use of Styling Tools! - too much manipulation of your hair can be bad for hair growth and hair health as well. There's no set number of how many times you should use them, just pay attention to how your hair responds when using styling tools, do your curls bounce back? That's a great indicator for how healthy your hair is.
- Air Dry When Possible. No Towels! - Use a Microfiber towel or a cotton t-shirt. Towels cause friction to your hair that leads to frizziness and dryness. When styling your Natural Hair, dry with a cotton t-shirt or microfiber towel for the best results.
- Satin/Silk Bonnet EVERY NIGHT!! - this one is self-explanatory, protect your hair from your cotton pillow cases, protect it every night. You can also use satin/silk pillowcases.
- Protect Your Hair From Cotton - cotton pillow cases, your t-shirts, & winter time sweaters. These are all things that brush against your hair and cause dryness. Wear your hair up, wear a bonnet. Whatever you do, do not allow your hair to be worn down by these common items.
- Deep Condition EVERY Week!!! - this is an essential part to your hair routine. I advise you to have a moisturizing deep conditioner and a protein-based deep conditioner to have a balance. You need to moisturize more often than you use protein. Too much protein can be bad for your hair too.
- Detangle Weekly/Daily unless in Protective Style - always detangle on damp to wet hair. Never detangle on dry hair. We have to detangle to shed our dead hairs, the scalp naturally loses 50-100 hairs a day, we have to detangle to remove these hairs to prevent more tangles.
- Protective Styling When Needed - if you are going through a Busy period of your life where you lack the time to maintain a weekly/monthly regimen for your hair, put your hair in a protective style. And you don’t have to pay to do that! Here are some free protective styles: flat twists, braids, two-strand twists, mini twists, pony tails,
- Use a GENEROUS Amount - For your product applications, don’t be afraid to use a hand-sized amount, Naturally Curly or Kinky hair is naturally prone to dryness, so don’t be afraid of walking out the house with white stuff in your hair, it’ll dry clear and your curls will be poppin!! I promise 😊💯
- Use/Drink Plenty of Water - Water is the basis for moisture. You need to be drinking at least a gallon a day to hydrate your entire body, while also using a spray bottle with water when styling. Anytime you’re about to style your hair, always style on damp or soaking wet hair, I promise you will not regret it.
I hope these tips help you break through any confusion around what you need to do to ensure your hair is healthy and growing.
If you liked this blog post, or corresponding video, feel free to check out www.shopitsacurlthing.com for our trendy Natural Hair T-Shirts 😘. I also have a YouTube channel where I break down these blog posts even further: https://youtu.be/j1mlphOa7Sg
Talk to you ladies next time!